Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Wash Your Hands After Handling Dog Treats

Yesterday an announcement was made that Joey's Jerky Brand Chicken Jerky dog treats were being pulled off the shelf voluntarily.  These treats made by Kritter's Kitchen Kreations of Loudon are locally made in New Hampshire.  They're not sold in supermarkets or large pet retailers.  You'll more than likely find these treats in smaller retailers like family owned stores and Agway.  
Over 20 folks were diagnosed with the same strain of salmonella.  It's still under investigation whether these treats are responsible for the outbreak however, the finger is pointing in their direction.  All of the folks who fell sick had purchased these chicken jerky treats. 

This article was plastered on several social media streams.  The replies were a little shocking.  Most people were under the assumption that those who were infected with the salmonella had eaten the jerky treats. They were wondering why on earth would someone munch on a bag of chicken jerky for dogs.
It didn't exactly happen like that.
Salmonella is a bacterial organism.  It's difficult to detect as it has no odor or taste.  It doesn't alter the appearance of your food.  The bacon double cheeseburger you noshed on for dinner could have been tainted with salmonella.  The burger looked great.  It tasted out of this world delicious. It smelled like a burger should.  However, it was tainted.
The only way you're going to know your burger had a strain of salmonella is if you start experiencing symptoms.  This occurs 6-72 hours after ingesting the infected food.
What more than likely happened is these people opened up the package of jerky, reached inside, fumbled for a piece, and fed it to their furbaby.  After closing up the package, no one thought to do the very basic of all things...wash their hands.  By not doing this, their hands became a carrier. 
Let's say one of them decided to make dinner and dipped their finger into something to make sure it tasted right.  Or, what if another reached for an apple on their way out the door.  Salmonella on fingers.  Fingers in mouth. Boom!  You're infected.
The possibilities are endless as to how the salmonella got from hands to mouth, however, let this be a lesson and a reminder to us all.  After handling dog treats, wash your hands!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Jess... that's right here in my neighborhood so it hits home!